[bf1942] CPU Usage

Paul Richards noxis at clara.net
Tue Feb 11 06:58:46 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Killing" <killing at barrysworld.com>
To: <bf1942 at icculus.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 11:53 AM
Subject: Re: [bf1942] CPU Usage

> Interesting facts there paul but just to correct you on one thing the HL
> engine is not one the lowest resource servers by a long shot especially
> when running mods like CS / DOD. The best in my recent experience is
> either mohaa ( not mohaas ) and ut2k3 both of which have 1/1 player
> to cpu% relationship on our boxes. e.g. 20 player mohaa = 20% this
> is in contrast to HL which always uses 1-3% even when empty and
> often peaks to 40% with 18 players ( DOD mod ).
>
>     Steve / K
>
> > The HL server and by extension the CS server is one of the lowest
resource
> > using game servers out there, the current linux build of the BF server
uses
> > a massive amount of CPU resources compared to the Windows build, the
best
> > way to test the difference is on real bad hardware rather than real good
as
> > it will show the difference more dramatically.
> >
> > For example I ran it on a TBird 800 firstly as linux, about 8 people
tops
> > with the linux build, converted to a nice free Windows .NET server (RC2)
and
> > I could run 16 - 20 players before problems occured.
> >
> > Now I am running a XP2000 on a .NET server and a full 24 man server
doesnt
> > climb above 45%-47% I havnt tried the XP2000 is a linux enviroment yet
as I
> > cant afford the down time.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > Paul.

I ran the UT2k3 demo and early full version servers but found it terrible in
terms of stability, resources and configuration, more trouble than their
worth (plus the game pretty much sucks imo). I dont know how you run your HL
servers but my ones sit pretty much at 0% CPU usage when empty... this is
all reletive to your CPU obviously and you haven't mentioned what yours is
in reference to your percentages so your readings are pretty much worthless
without this.

The Q3 based servers are pretty good with the server resources although
Spearhead uses a bit more load now, SoFII is good with resources but uses a
bit more than HL:CS. I still say that the HL engine is still the most stable
well coded and optimised game server out there, this is probably simply due
to its popularity and therefore more resources spent in developing it.

-Paul