[bf1942] CPU Usage

Paul Richards noxis at clara.net
Tue Feb 11 06:39:05 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matrix" <Matrix at ServerXtreme.com>
To: <bf1942 at icculus.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 5:27 AM
Subject: Re: [bf1942] CPU Usage

> Really!  What are you doing to bring down the CPU usage?  Looking around
on
> the net at server hosting, everybody has pricing based on CPU usage, and
> have it higher than any other game. :(   Is the linux dedicated server a
lot
> less of a hog than a windows server for BF1942?  I have not tested them
both
> out since I will never run a windows server again... ever!. :-p

LOL...
> > > run Quad Xeon 2.4's on 2U Rack mount's, and the CPU usage is just
> freaking
> > > huge...  I thought Half-Life was a hog until I started running this
> game,
> > > and this makes Half-Life look like a little tiny process...hehe...
> > Server
> > > hosting is a premium, and I have seen games with heavy cpu usage die
so
> > fast
> > > due to this...   bah... I am just blowing steam on the game creators,
in
> > the
> > > wrong place... hehe.. :-p

The HL server and by extension the CS server is one of the lowest resource
using game servers out there, the current linux build of the BF server uses
a massive amount of CPU resources compared to the Windows build, the best
way to test the difference is on real bad hardware rather than real good as
it will show the difference more dramatically.

For example I ran it on a TBird 800 firstly as linux, about 8 people tops
with the linux build, converted to a nice free Windows .NET server (RC2) and
I could run 16 - 20 players before problems occured.

Now I am running a XP2000 on a .NET server and a full 24 man server doesnt
climb above 45%-47% I havnt tried the XP2000 is a linux enviroment yet as I
cant afford the down time.

Hope this helps.

Paul.