[bf1942] CPU requirements..

Christopher Kunz chris at de-punkt.de
Tue Feb 11 05:54:54 EST 2003

James Gurney wrote:

> Hm, sounds good.. Maybe we can get away with the 2400 after all..
> Another concern I have is whether a standard heatsink will get rid of
> the heat a 90% utilized Athlon will generate, when it's inside a 2U
> case. There's not much clearance above the fan in that situation.. oh
> well, cross that bridge when we get to it..

We already crossed it, and it can cause a fair amount of problems.
You'll need to make sure you have the best possible 2U compatible
heatsink (I think we were going for Coolermaster) and optimum airflow
within the case. Our Athlons (which we are now abandoning for Xeons)
have between 5 and 8 case ventilators, which are really needed to get
the hot air away from the CPU.

--ck
--
php development | hosting |  housing | professional game server hosting
http://www.de-punkt.de   [ chris at de-punkt.de ]    http://www.stormix.de