[bf1942] Programming and server porting

Scott Brooks blaze at fragz.ca
Sun Feb 9 02:07:26 EST 2003

Although sdl is great for programming Client side things, if you are
looking to get into porting servers, it would probably be worth your
while to get a book on Linux Socket Programming, and another on Linux
Threading.  Also learing all you can about IPC, syncronization, and
other multi threading issues you may run into would help alot.

Have a look at the quake, and quake2 source.  From what I can tell those
are two pretty good server implmentations.

One thing nobody has mentioned yet is you will probably need to learn
the windows equivalents to sockets, threads, and syncronization so when
you are trying to port something you will know what's going on.

Also Ryan, are you still having the file discriptors being inherited
problem?  I think you can use fcntl to set the fd's to non inherited.

--
Scott Brooks <blaze at fragz.ca>