Config file rewriting

Scratch Monkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Tue Feb 4 13:29:11 EST 2003

I'm seeing the config files (.con) getting touched and getting their
permissions changed by the server. Group access keeps getting revoked.

Ryan, can you document what the server is actually doing here? If I know
what is intended, then my web-based config management scripts can work
around that. Right now I have to guess and each release seems to prove my
previous assumptions wrong.

In particular, I want to give the config files group ownership and
read/write for user apache so the web server can read/modify them. But I
need to know that the permissions won't get revoked by the game server, and
I need to know when it's safe to rewrite them. (Ie. do I always have to
stop the server first?) Additionally, does the server ever re-read them
after initial startup? If I modify them, do I need to restart the server to
see the change take effect?