[bf1942] Custom map downloading (was: Punkbuster confirmed for 1.6)

James Gurney james at globalmegacorp.org
Wed Dec 3 03:43:39 EST 2003

Scratch Monkey wrote:

> --On Tuesday, December 02, 2003 9:15 PM -0800 James Gurney
> <james at globalmegacorp.org> wrote:
>

>>Er, check your client game folder. The server versions of maps are stripped
>>down to a much smaller size (at least in EOD and DC, as examples). The
>>client side versions of DC custom maps tend to be 40-50MB or so..
>

> Ah, ok. So what's bloating up the client map file? What's in there that the
> client needs but the server doesn't?

I imagine it's mostly textures and sound files, but I'm not really sure.
The author of the striprfa tool said this:

"I'm still trying to find out what is realy required by the server. What
I have found out so far:

Not Required:
.dds except: thumbnail.dds, serverInfo.dds and ingamemap.dds
.tga
.lsb
.bak, .bak2, ...
.wav"

You could probably ask for more information on this thread, if you're
really interested:

http://bf1942.lightcubed.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=229

James