[bf1942] Statically linked version to be dropped--licensing

James Gurney james at globalmegacorp.org
Tue Aug 5 03:37:24 EDT 2003

Jon Torrez wrote:

> Would it be possible to sell a staticly linked binary?

Whether you sell it or not is entirely not the point. Go read the
license here:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html

(it's not too long, and not too full of legalese).

I've talked to some friends who are fairly familiar with this sort of
thing, and they all agree, there's no way to distribute the static
version without including the object files.

Personally, I don't see this as a problem. My server is dedicated to
running BF/DC/EOD, so even if I wasn't already running a recent enough
distro, it wouldn't be a big deal to blow it all away and start over
from scratch. If anyone is looking for a good distro where the dynamic
binary works great, I can recommend Slackware 9.

Cheers,

James