[bf1942] Linux server status update 2003-04-28

ScratchMonkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Wed Apr 30 06:02:50 EDT 2003

--On Wednesday, April 30, 2003 11:07 AM +0200 "Daniel E. Atencio Psille"
<dea at atencio.de> wrote:

> I'm just curious if/how it
> would be possible to link the server against a custom library or vice
> versa.

That's pretty simple: You create a library with a known name (say,
BF_logging.so or BF_logging.dll) and known entry points/signatures (say,
BeginLogging, EndLogging, and WriteLogRecord). Anyone can write this DLL.
They're very easy to make. DICE makes one for us that does the simple write
to file. The rest of us make one that does fancy stuff and overwrite DICE's
version on our servers. When the server starts, it uses whatever it finds,
whether it'd DICE's version or ours.

The linking happens automagically as part of normal program execution on
each platform. No special work needs to happen there. (I'm not proposing a
dynamically-loaded DLL, just one that can be overwritten before execution.)