[bf1942] Linux server status update 2003-04-28

ScratchMonkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Wed Apr 30 03:36:07 EDT 2003

--On Tuesday, April 29, 2003 9:52 AM -0400 Sam Evans <sam at neuroflux.com>
wrote:

> You know.. Just writing the logs out in real time to disk is so much
> easier that having to do compression, sockets, etc. etc.

True, which is why the shared library is so nifty: DICE just implements the
simple case, and those who need more can write a plug-in replacement for
just this function.

> I realize there could be a lot of logs here, but why not let the user
> specify what they want logged, or better yet, just log the kills, flag /
> point captures and deaths..   That in it's self wouldn't be anymore
> information that what other game servers already log today.

Again, the shared library enables this. The custom library can filter
events before they go to disk, so you only log what the admin wants.

> *SHUDDER*  NFS Over the internet?  You're kidding right?

I believe Andreas was at least partly jesting when he suggested that. But
it would be ok if one were using a network filesystem (could be NFS, could
be SMB, could be some other thing) only on one's LAN. For instance, the
game server could be multi-homed, with the stats processor running on a
back-end machine.