[bf1942] Random port query issue.

Scratch Monkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Tue Apr 22 17:59:46 EDT 2003

--On Tuesday, April 22, 2003 1:59 PM -0700 "Thomas M. Skeren III"
<tms3 at fsklaw.net> wrote:

> Yeah, but it would all be going to the same MAC.  Given how cheap NICs are,
> (I've got a box full of used ones in hte server room) I think it would be
> best to experiment with multiple NIC's first, to eliminate variables.  If it
> works with 2 NICS, then try to see if it works with one.

I believe that in userspace you bind to an address, not to an interface. In
Linux, a card's additional addresses appear as "virtual" interfaces.

Note that an additional NIC means an additional slot, an additional switch
port and an additional cable, so it's not just a matter of cost of the card.

Servers use additional NIC's to increase bandwidth (through parallel
operation), not for additional addresses.