[bf1942] Absolutely OT: Emails to this list (Andreas, please ignore and keep doing your good work)

Matrix Matrix at ServerXtreme.com
Tue Apr 22 17:40:59 EDT 2003

Yea, a lot of mail come though this mail list, and definatly clutters up the inbox...  I would just suggest creating a rule in outlook if you use it and create the rule for all email that contines "[bf1942]" in the subject, send it to another folder like "icculus_bf1942", so none of them go to your inbox... Then at my own leasure, I click on that folder and look at all of the current mail spam. :-p   ...but I stay tuned in becuase I egerly await the DICE status reports and the 1.4 release. :)

Matrix

Hi,

I'm inclined to disagree. I believe that although the mailing list is a
good place to air your views and opinions, it is incredibly important
that you keep everything you want to say in 1 mail. I do in fact find
that this list is reasonably good as long as people post sensible,
well-thought discussions that contribute to the overall productivity of
the list.

I have to admit that I've been quite disappointed so far, as perhaps
more than 70% of what I read here I just plop neatly into my trash. It's
really because most of them are one-liners that are not well-explained,
and I personally find that this should be considered list-abuse. If
you're going to send 10 messages to the few hundred people here, I
suggest that you think about the tenfold quantity of mail you are
expecting people to want to receive as well.

If you want to drop 10 messages in my mailbox and they all seem to
originate from one or two people who just can't keep their content
compressed neatly and coherently into 1 message then I personally
believe it is the fault of the author, and not the subscriber, who
should be to blame for spam-like messages. If you think you have good
ideas fine, but please if it's only worth a one-liner I'm sorry that I
can't agree that it could be anything of value.

I would like to beseech all subscribers to subscribe to the common sense
mailing list and to ensure that your mail is worthy enough of being
duplicated in everybody else's mailbox before you submit to the list. I
think there have been many people who have dropped out of the list for
the amount of spam involved (I have dropped out once, who knows maybe
I'll drop out again tomorrow?). Also I think that it's forgivable for
first-time subscribers to not realize this but for those who have been
in this list for ages I see no excuse for this behaviour.

Before you mail, I suggest you ask yourself : Will this benefit others
or am I just being a bit too enthusiastic?

I understand that the more active subscribers will just begin hurling
abuses at me, but I think there have been a lot of us silent sufferers
who have bore the brunt of this ridiculous quantity of pointless and
useless mail for way too long. For the sake of bf, please upgrade the
quality of discourse.

Regards,

Christopher Choo
chrischoo at fragnetics.com