Absolutely OT: Emails to this list (Andreas, please ignore and keep doing your good work)

Martin Steiger martin at steigi.com
Tue Apr 22 15:35:08 EDT 2003

Hi all

I'm following this list for about half a year now and I always wonder more
about the behaviour of people on this list.

Have you ever thought about that...
... more than 500 people have to go through your "spam-mails" (I don't know
any other word for this)?
... a software developer of DICE is reading this list?
... a software developer of DICE is even answering to this list?
... not everyone is interested in your "useless" comments? (even mine)
... not everyone is interested in merciless mod or any other clientside
mods(is it linux related?)

People are always complaining about how good Quake, Halflife (or whatever)
games handle some issues. I actually don't play these games, but can someone
tell me, how old these games are? Don't you think the developers of these
games had some more times to fix everything? Do you really expect everything
will be fixed on their (DICE) first linux release?

Who promised you a working Linux-Server? Andreas? I don't think so... So
please stop blaming him for the strategy of his company and be happy he's
even keeping us up to date.

I don't understand half of the linux issues here on the list (I admit, I'm a
noob) but be honest: at least half of all these emails we're getting are not
linux-server related. 30% are just some spammers who are try to get they're
one-liners into a discussion and 20% are asking questions like "how do I run
the linux server?". If you read a question of these last 20%, please don't
answer with comments like "this is not linux related" or something like
this. If you have time (and you're in the mood to do it), answer them
outside the list. Believe me, they're more than happy with it and you will
be a "god" for them. If not, just delete these mails.

If my server is working (better) with the "update" from DICE, I'll be happy
with it (it's running since 51 days with maximum 16 players, no crash,
nothing, just the bungee effect). If not, I'm sure they fix it later...

Believe me, if Andreas (or anyone else from DICE) wouldn't be on this list,
I would have cancelled it since Ryan "left". But I like beeing kept up to
date, so then I know what I can expect. Personally, I think the statements
of Andreas were always very honest (more than you can expect).

And please: if you feel you have to answer to this mail to flame me or to
tell me, what an a...h.... I am, do it on mailto:bf1942 at steigi.com and not
to this list (it's not a blackhole, I read them!)

Ok, I stop spamming this list now!

Cheers, Martin

PS: I'd like to apologize for my statement on 25.3.2003 (I did it already to
Andreas), but heh, he answered less than 12 hours later with a status
report...