AW: [bf1942] 1.4 and disablin mods????

Jon MMmmGood at cox.net
Mon Apr 21 14:32:09 EDT 2003

I guess my test worked.

My name is Jon Wolberg, and I am the Manager of Tech Support for
ECGNetwork.Com, a game server rental company.  I work with BF1942 servers
everyday and I would say that I am pretty experienced in them.  I am pretty
excited about the Linux server as i've been reading these emails for months
now.  We run all of our games on Linux unless there is no LinuxDed for it.
I really hope that the Linux server will be stable, and not crash all the
time like the current Windows one does.

Anyway, let me get to the point of my response.  I talk to Prowlinger (
creator of Merciless Creations ) on a daily basis, and since the topic was
swayed towards his mod, I showed him your response.  Here's what he said to
it:

"Merciless 1942 wants to be secure.. they want to stop cheating but they
want to be functional as a client using the BF1942 game... not their own
custom one. This would require a contengiency that Dice accept Merciless
1942 to work just like the 2 Dice expansions work... client side yet locked
and secure"

"Merciless wants their fans to be able to log on to any current 1942 server
and play using their addon... how ever Dice and Merciless can arrange this..
Merciless is willing to do it. Merciless is begging to remain secure and
allow all users and fans the ability to get on all current 1942 servers
running the BF1942 server type (not a custom MC1942 server type). They will
lock everything down and allow NO client customization if they could achieve
this."

He e-mailed DICE with this solution two months ago to no avail.  His e-mail
was more extensive than the description above for obvious reasons.  It
included a fix to the problem that would let true modders still be able to
make client-side mods but the cheats would stop working.  He was ignored.

If its not asking too much, i'd also like Andreas to respond to this.

Jon Wolberg
www.ECGNetwork.Com