[bf1942] Linux server status report 2003-04-14

Kevin J. Anderson lestat at counter-strike.net
Mon Apr 14 15:38:09 EDT 2003

->-----Original Message-----
->From: ScratchMonkey [mailto:ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com]
->Sent: Monday, April 14, 2003 3:27 PM
->To: bf1942 at icculus.org
->Subject: Re: [bf1942] Linux server status report 2003-04-14

->
->Ok, but download from where? For RPM, Red-carpet uses a database of
->dependencies hosted by Ximian, and Red Hat's up2date uses RH's dependency
->database and downloads from a RH mirror. Presumably gentoo has the same
->problem of needing a central database somewhere of where to get
->dependencies from.
->
->For RPM there's also http://rpmlist.net/ which is a database of
->RPM's from
->many distros, not necessarily interoperable, but there's no dependency
->tree. This is where I look for an RPM when I know Red Hat hasn't packaged
->one.

thats the thing, its all in /usr/portage. (at least the deps/info of wehre
to get what where)  then, when you actually want to install something, you
can specify different mirrors for the main packages in your make.conf or use
a gentoo proggy called mirrorselect.  all of the package
rules/defintions/deps are declared in files called ebuilds.  Just go to
www.gentoo.org and read up a bit, they can explain everything much better
than we can.

kev