[bf1942] Linux server status report 2003-04-14

Kevin J. Anderson lestat at counter-strike.net
Mon Apr 14 15:29:10 EDT 2003

->-----Original Message-----
->From: ScratchMonkey [mailto:ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com]
->Sent: Monday, April 14, 2003 3:14 PM
->To: bf1942 at icculus.org
->Subject: RE: [bf1942] Linux server status report 2003-04-14
->
->--On Monday, April 14, 2003 11:33 AM +0200 "Fredriksson, Andreas"
-><andreas.fredriksson at dice.se> wrote:
->
->> it doesn't have package problems (no RPM hell)
->
->How does it accomplish that? (I package RPM's, and use a couple of
->different GUI updaters (red-carpet and up2date) so I like to hear about
->alternatives that do the job better.)

Well, mainly its due to the fact that portage (package management system)
has a huge categorized list of packages/software in /usr/portage of most any
mainstream software/library/etc.  I have usually not had to look elsewhere
for software out of 6 different gentoo boxes I have set up.  in fact, the
only custom software I have is a perlscript called fakeap.  (heh, if one ap
is cool, 53000 must be better!)

and when you install packages, all dependencies for that package are also
emerged automaticly, and often times, various versions of libraries etc can
coexist quite well.  Debian also does this well, its all a matter of
preference.  But imho, gentoo does it extremely well.

Its not exactly an enterprise, "your job will depend on this machine not
fucking up" solution yet, as its still a relatively new distro, but its
getting there.

kev