[bf1942] Console

Scratch Monkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Thu Apr 10 20:56:34 EDT 2003

--On Friday, April 11, 2003 8:09 AM +0800 Rowan Smith <fsd at fsdtech.net> wrote:

> again i feel people have wandered off topic a bit, what we need from dice is
> their time spent on creating a stable linux server, and work on extra things
> like this later..

Agreed, but current work should proceed with an awareness of the need for
these things to be implemented later. Speaking as a programmer, I find it
useful to know what the next project will be so I don't program myself into a
corner that requires major hackery to undo.

For comparison, observe how much DirectX machinery Ryan had to rip out of his
initial code base before he had something useful for standalone use. How might
the software have been designed differently had the original programmers known
that DirectX would not be available in some builds?