[bf1942] Console

Scratch Monkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Thu Apr 10 14:48:56 EDT 2003

--On Thursday, April 10, 2003 9:18 AM +0200 "Fredriksson, Andreas"
<andreas.fredriksson at dice.se> wrote:

> I've added a console on stdin for debugging purposes over here, I don't know
> if it would be useful to more people as it would require a screen session to
> run the server. Perhaps as an option, and perhaps later?

Of greater use would be a console on a socket. Informational messages can be
logged out stdout or to a specified file, but one should be able to telnet (or
better, ssh) to the server and issue commands. (Telnet would be adequate for
those who can ssh to a shell session and then telnet locally.)

Alternatively, some kind of web-based interface would be good. An awful lot of
"appliances" now provide this kind of remote control. TeamSpeak is one
example, but you also see it now in fairly dumb equipment. Some of my
oscilloscopes can be remote-controlled this way. Most print servers and home
routers provide a rudimentary web server for remote control.

Ideally you should target hosting companies who want to provide simple
management interfaces for their customers who can't drive shell windows.