[bf1942] Linux Server Lags

jjohnso1 at sbcglobal.net jjohnso1 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 28 18:33:21 EST 2002

Sorry for the length here; I was writing this while troubleshooting.
Hopefully others can glean some useful information from this.

My server started lagging with just 2 players (one local, one internet).
Just after the server started, there was no lag -- but after running for a
while, it became progressively worse.  Running in COOP (which is broken
anyway) seemed to exacerbate the problem; in CQ mode, it took longer for the
lag to become annoying.

After the server finished loading, it consumed a fair amount of CPU (29.5%
in this example) even when no players are connected:

  PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND
21722 root      12   0 91808  89M 17036 R    29.5 11.8   1:37 bf1942_lnxded
21727 root       9   0 91808  89M 17036 S     0.0 11.8   0:00 bf1942_lnxded
21728 root       9   0 91808  89M 17036 S     0.0 11.8   0:00 bf1942_lnxded

Originally, I chalked the problem up the server being early BETA, and
figured it would get better as debug code was removed.  I didn't pay much
attention to all of the talk about game.setServerIP setting, because it
seemed to be primarily related to problems for systems with multiple NIC's,
or GameSpy/ASE woes.  Because I have only one NIC and don't want to be seen
in Gamespy or ASE anyway, I left the setting blank.

I just tried putting a valid IP in there (representing my public IP). Now,
with no players connected (CQ mode):

  PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND
21888 johnj      9   0 85328  83M 15940 S     0.0 11.0   0:35 bf1942_lnxded
21889 johnj      9   0 85328  83M 15940 S     0.0 11.0   0:00 bf1942_lnxded
21890 johnj      9   0 85328  83M 15940 S     0.0 11.0   0:00 bf1942_lnxded

Much better (idling at 0% CPU).  But if left unattended for about 10
minutes, CPU on the first process climbs right back up around 30% and stays
there for about five minutes.  Based on my non-scientific observations, this
would happen at 10 minute intervals for 5 minutes at a time.  Ugh.

So, as a wild guess -- I think Gamespy or some related timeout/heartbeat
process is part of the lag problem.  I tinkered with the game.serverInternet
setting, but it seems to simply tell the server to bind to Gamespy on a
different port (1=23000, 0=22000).

So the moral of the story -- make sure game.setServerIP is not blank!  Also
make sure the server can "bind" to Gamespy correctly (i.e. without a
firewall getting in the way).  I cannot find a way around the lag cycle
every 5 mintutes for those of us that don't want to connect to Gamespy at
all -- it happens even if the server is setup for LAN-only.  I finally
settled on the following settings to minimize CPU spikes:

ServerSettings.con
game.serverInternet 0
game.setServerIP <public-IP>

Firewall
udp allow 22000

On a side note, memory consumption by each process dropped from 83MB to 75MB
in this configuration.  I haven't tested this with any players yet -- I'll
let you know if this results in any sigificant reductions in lag for me.

John