Linux Dedicated Server Help?

webmaster webmaster at linux4newbies.org
Tue Dec 24 12:20:15 EST 2002

Hello all,

First off, hope everyone has a great holiday!

I would like to know if there is any kind of a help or how-to for
getting the Linux dedicated server going? I spent 8 hours on it last
night, had it working once, not sure why it quit working. (probably
something I did)

I have grabbed every file I can find for the server:

bf1942-lnxded-1.2beta1.tar.bz2
bf1942-lnxded-betaupdate-build-1039730142.tar.bz2
bf1942-lnxded-betaupdate-build-1039933525.tar.bz2
bf1942-lnxded-betaupdate-build-1040442243.tar.bz2

I have untarred each of these in order. It worked only after the last
file too by the way.

Set my ServerSettings.con:

game.serverName "Linux Test"
game.serverDedicated 1
game.serverGamePlayMode GPM_CQ
game.serverGameTime 0
game.serverMaxPlayers 24
game.serverScoreLimit 0
game.serverInternet 1
game.serverNumberOfRounds 3
game.serverSpawnTime 5
game.serverSpawnDelay 3
game.serverGameStartDelay 5
game.serverGameRoundStartDelay 5
game.serverSoldierFriendlyFire 100
game.serverVehicleFriendlyFire 100
game.serverTicketRatio 100
game.serverAlliedTeamRatio 1
game.serverAxisTeamRatio 1
game.serverCoopAiSkill 75
game.serverCoopCpu 20
game.serverPassword ""
game.ServerBandwidthChokeLimit 0
game.ServerMaxAllowedConnectionType CTCable128Kbps
game.ServerAllowNoseCam 1
game.ServerFreeCamera 0
game.ServerExternalViews 1
game.ServerAutoBalanceTeams 1
game.ServerNameTagDistance 50
game.ServerNameTagDistanceScope 300
game.ServerKickBack 0.000000
game.ServerKickBackOnSplash 0.000000
game.setServerSoldierFriendlyFireOnSplash 100
game.setServerVehicleFriendlyFireOnSplash 100
game.setServerIP my external IP here
game.setServerPort 14567

I am using a Linksys router, which I have DMZ'd to my Linux box, after
setting these ports did not seem to work:

Prot.

udp 14567 14570 - range
tcp 21000
udp 21000
tcp 21010
tcp 6667
tcp 3783
udp 27900
tcp 28900
tcp 29900 29901 - range
udp 13139
udp 6515
tcp 6500
udp 22000
udp 23000 23009 - range

I can get it working as a local server no problem. I can see the server
in the built in GameSpy server list, when started as an Internet server.
But if I try to join a game it gives me the error, "Failed to connect to
server".

http://www.bfcentral.com/server_faq.php

The above link was a little help, but it is geared toward Win32.

I have totally taken down my firewall on the Linux box, just to make
sure it was not a closed or mis-configured port. (Put it back up after
testing though)

Maybe I missed something I should have read else where?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you may have.

BF1942 Rocks!

A Linux client would make it even better!!

webmaster at linux4newbies.org