[bf1942] Best Method to run a linux server?

Dan Beimborn bf at beimborn.com
Mon Dec 23 15:02:09 EST 2002

On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, Billy Vierra wrote:

> What is the best way to run the server in the background? do you go with
> screen? just &? something else?

I do it under vnc. That's a remote desktop-sharing utility if you aren't
familiar, servers & clients run under windows,linux,solaris, hpux, macos,
etc etc. Very nice. www.realvnc.org for both client & server.

In my session I currently have 1 xterm with the server in it, one window
with "watch -n 1 lsof -i | grep bf1942" (shows ports in use), and gkrellm
(a graphical load meter/network load/memory usage/etc widget). The 3rd
xterm has pine running on the account that is subscribed to this mailing
list. It uses up cpu when it's running, so I just detach it when I'm
not just trying to watch the pretty lights. My client is win2k or linux,
win2k if I'm not playing, linux on the laptop if I'm playing on the
desktop machine!

Highly recommended for any kind of remote administration, can be wrapped
in ssh if you are paranoid like me too :)

DB