[armyops] hi

Jan Stępień jasieczek at gmail.com
Mon May 7 16:29:58 EDT 2007

anna pisze:
> Hi again,
>
> thank you for your responses.  After I sent my post I tried a couple
> more times and now I'm not getting the error messages I was getting
> before.  Basically the errors were along the lines of "the file is
> corrupted or you do not have permission to [access] the file...check the
> permissions".  Perhaps the download was just corrupted the first 2 times
> I tried saving it??
>
> This morning I tried again, by running the script:  armyops250-linux.run
>
> It seemed to be working okay when I left - I will have to check my
> machine when I get home from work in a few hours.  if I do get any other
> error messages I will inquire.
>
> It's encouraging to hear that v2.5 is working out well for other linux
> folks.  Hate to sound hard-core about it, but I'm a recovering windows
> user and would like to keep my system free of dual boots!!  lol.  I am
> certainly tempted, though, considering how many games I *can't* play on
> dapper.
>
> Thanks,
> Anna

Hi Anna,

I'm pleased to see activity on this list and see other Linux users
playing America's Army on their system of choice.

I've been playing America's Army for quite a long time on Linux and I
haven't had any problems. To be honest, errors occurred more frequently
on Windows™. I've got an ATI Radeon 9600 video card, so I had few
problems with setting a 3D hardware rendering, but it's a different story.

As far as I remember, I've successfully installed AA 2.5 on Debian,
Ubuntu and Gentoo. The latter is my current distribution. Basing on my
experience, Ubuntu, being one of my favorites, isn't the best choice for
gaming. Nevertheless, I don't intend to discourage you from trying to
install AA on your distro, but I'm afraid that it will require learning
few things and taking a getting familiar with the console.

First of all, could you please tell us something more about your
hardware? The most important thing is your graphics card. You should
have it configured properly to render 3D graphics. Few words about your
CPU and amount of RAM also would be welcome.

Secondly, could you please post any potential errors which occurred
during the installation? Any of them may lead to the solution.

I'm waiting for your reply.

Best regards,
Jan Stępień

- --