[aquaria] Is the project still alive?

Dustin Voss d_j_v at mac.com
Mon Apr 11 15:42:39 EDT 2011

I clearly owe you a few apologies.

You were porting to a whole new operating system; I do not mean to claim that you could have build feature branches directly from the icculus source code under those circumstances. You could not have. When I pointed you out as a bad example, first, I was kind of teasing you. I apologize for not adding a smiley or something to make that clear; I sometimes forget to over-emote on the Internet. I remain impressed by what you’ve done with the Aquaria sources and did use several of your patches. Second, I was only pointing you out as a bad example of what best practices are. You were not in a position to follow them, and so you did not, and that is okay. I also apologize for not writing that caveat.

Your offer to roll up a bunch of patches and send them in is generous, I think. I would certainly take advantage of it were I to have worked at Bit Blot (and you are right, I am unfamiliar with its history and was surprised to learn it was defunct). But my point was that massive intermingled changes like yours are difficult to integrate for a third party. I was trying to point out things we can do to make changes EASY to integrate. And a patch roll-up is one of those things, yes. I did not know that you made that offer.

Finally, I say “we” have opted not to fork because I do not remember much discussion of forking Aquaria on the mailing list, so I concluded that no one was seriously considering the idea. Until now, that is.