[aquaria] Linux packaging

Peter De Wachter pdewacht at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 19:22:45 EDT 2010

Op Sun, 13 Jun 2010 17:04:29 -0500
schreef Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <jordigh at gmail.com>:

> On 13 June 2010 16:51, Peter De Wachter <pdewacht at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Also, if somebody packages Aquaria for a Linux distribution, the
> > first thing they're going to do is to make it use the system lua
> > library.
>
> I was getting enthusiastic about packaging this for Debian (and hence
> Ubuntu), which is kinda the first reason I signed to this mailing
> list, but now I'm not sure how to do it without game data. Since the
> data isn't even redistributable, how would a packaging work? Do you
> have something in mind? From what I can tell in the source, the game
> data has to be in the same directory as the binary, so it could create
> an awkward packaging.

Heh, I'm a Debian guy as well :) Don't forget to file an ITP if you're
planning to make a package. And you might want to join the Debian Games
Team, you'll find people who've dealt with these kind of problems.
(http://wiki.debian.org/Games/Development)

In this case, the easiest way (from a packager's point of view) would be
to make Aquaria look in a fixed location and to tell the user to install
the game data there. But Andrew's solution is nicer.