[aquaria] Mostly-working 64-bit patch

Pontos daemonpontos at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 19:36:17 EDT 2010

Regarding this, the compiler is not using any kind of optimization, and
then you also added the flag "-g" for the compiler in your patch, which
is to enable debug mode. Maybe this is the reason it's slower.
Try removing the "-g" flag and/or adding -O3, or maybe using GCC's strip
after compiling.

This being said, using the CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE variable in the CMake script
to select a common set of flags may be a good idea. It uses the None
value by default if you don't set anything, either in the script or by a
command line parameter.
The value Debug adds "-g", Release adds "-O3 -DNDEBUG", RelWithDebInfo
adds "-O2 -g" and MinSizeRel adds "-Os -DNDEBUG".

if(NOT CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE)
   set(CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE Release CACHE STRING "None Debug Release
RelWithDebInfo MinSizeRel" FORCE)
endif(NOT CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE)

That would create an optimized binary, but maybe we would rather to use
RelWithDebInfo by default, and let people change that if they don't want
debug symbols.

Nonetheless, even if we don't add the "build type" feature, I think it
would be a really good idea to at least add the -O2 or -O3 flag to the
script. Those are really necessary to get an optimized binary.