[airstrike] airstrike Debian patches

Eero Tamminen oak at helsinkinet.fi
Sun May 4 15:27:59 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Saturday 03 May 2008, Erik Auerswald wrote:
> On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 08:58:53PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-05-03 at 14:41 +0200, Erik Auerswald wrote:
> > > The "current" codebase diverged quite a lot from pre6a, I just
> > > applied the manpage patch and checked the one sprintf() use still
> > > remaining.
> >
> > Do you plan to make a new release soon? It has been quite a while since
> > the last one.
>
> No, sorry. What we have in svn is more a tech demo than a game.

Well, I don't think it's in such a bad shape.  The nature of the game
has just changed somewhat.  Earlier it was just a bi-plane game,
now it's more flexible.

If I remember the pre6a state correctly, the game gained these after that:
- support for multiple levels
- levels & objects can be scripted (have triggers and
  triggers can be chained)
- different airodynamic models for planes
- player object separated from the plane (player could now in theory
  move from a plane to e.g. dragon)
- bonus objects
- etc

And has lost these:
- menus
- information on players (how many bombs their planes etc have)
  - reason: player and plane are now separate
- Computer AI
  - reason: with more complex levels, old AI is in no way sufficient

I think only first two would be really needed to have the game again usable
as a multiplayer game.  If somebody would just have time for them, they
shouldn't be that hard to do.

The AI would be much harder and IMHO could be skipped for next release if
it ever happens.

> Development is stalled since quite some time, I don't have much time to
> spend on this project, IMHO the same applies to the other developers.

Applies at least to me too...

	- Eero