[airstrike] Missile "Bonus"

Ulf Ekström uekstrom at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 16:15:14 EST 2006

On 2/16/06, Erik Auerswald <auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 05:07:31PM +0100, Ulf Ekström wrote:
> > I will test tonight.
>
> The attached patch tells the seeker ai about warping. The ai favours
> warping from one screen edge to the other over turning more than 90
> degrees. This fine for missiles with a huge turn radius and enough speed
> to reach its target. It represents a forward looking sensor better than
> a missile turning around if its target suddenly warps to its back.

I think I like this missile best, it seems somehow realistic that it
can only "see" things in the forward direction. It could be cool to
show the targets of the missiles as some crosshair marking, so that
you know when the missile is targeting you, and if you managed to
shake it off. But maybe it can be made to turn at +-100 degrees or
something?

> But
> it is nevertheless strange to watch the missile flying away from its
> target (ignoring the warp results in strange maneuvers when the missile
> is close to its target when the target warps and the missile warps as
> well because it could not turn around fast enough).

Yes, a bit strange. But as long as the behaviour is logical I think
the players will adapt.

Ulf