[airstrike] Level editor

Ulf Ekström ulfek at ifm.liu.se
Mon Mar 24 10:02:25 EST 2003

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 08:06:57AM +0100, Eismann Peter wrote:
> Hi Ero,
>
> Thanks for your link.
> The most important stuff of the Airstrike level editor should be: no platform dependencies.

Yes, I agree to this. Airstrike should run everywhere SDL runs.

> Of course I know there are a lot of widget libraries in C++
> language: ParaGUI, wxWindows, Qt, etc.

Mm. The only thing that is hard to do by ourselves is a file-selection
dialog. A way to avoid this is to always take the level name from the
commandline, ie: leveleditor mylevel.lvl, but that is unnatural for
windows users, and (worse) it makes it difficult to save levels under
a different name.

Maybe it can work like this: In the game we anyway need a way to
select which level to play. This can work by looking in a level
directory (specified in the config files) and show all levels in that
dir. Here we need thumbnails of the levels. Maybe this way of
selecting levels can be used also for the editor? I the editor there
can simply be a button to create a new, blank, level.  But I guess
this is how you already thought, Peter.

Ulf