[airstrike] TODO

Ulf Ekström ulfek at ifm.liu.se
Wed Oct 30 04:16:33 EST 2002

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 07:46:26AM +0100, Eismann Peter wrote:
> Hello Ulf,
>
> Maybe you can add a "fps" counter.
> (It will be help me to compare the preformance between the both compiler)
>

> Peter

Ok. I'll make a compile time flag for this. The reason is that currently
the game tries to run at a fixed 33fps, so the delay needs to be removed for
you to be able to measure anything. My guess is that VC is a little faster, but
when I last profiled the code it was spending something like 85% of the time
blitting and updating the screen, which is all done by SDL. One solution is
to disable the display and just measure the speed of the engine, but keep in mind
that for the actual users it is unlikely that the speed of engine is a limiting factor.

One thing I have thought about is hardware acceleration. The game really looks better
with alpha channel blits, but that rules out hw acceleration with SDL (unless they implement
this OpenGL backend that everyone is talking about).

Do you want a hw accelerated mode (without alpha channels)? If so I need help to
implement this correctly under DirectX (still using SDL, but there are some special
considerations for DirectX, like this surface reloading stuff).

--Ulf