LAB3D/SDL Version history
Version 0.9 - 26/08/2002
- Code converted to ANSI C with POSIX or Win32 libraries (more or less).
- Input rewritten for SDL.
- Graphics rewritten for SDL/OpenGL.
- Sound rewritten for SDL.
- Music rewritten for OSS MIDI.
- Music rewritten for Windows MIDI.
- Removed shareware messages from intro.
- Replaced out-of-date ordering info with copyright notice.
- Minor cosmetic improvements to episode/skill selection.
- User-selectable resolution (add -res width height to command line).
- Windowed mode added (-win to command line).
- Sound (-nosound) and music (-nomusic) can be disabled from command line.
- Data corruption bug in large open spaces (monster-in-earshot search routine
- Action key/button now only repeats when drinking from a fountain.
- Vertical movement now stops even on very fast machines.
- Completing an episode doesn't mess up the potion and cloak status any more.
- New game menu can now be cancelled correctly.
Version 0.91 - 02/09/2002
- New setup routine.
- Key definitions no longer translated to US PC keys.
- Tidied up some invalid function definitions, unused variables and such.
- Some code simplifications.
- Cleaned up some of the code that was translated from assembly.
- Code now compiles without warning with full optimisation and warnings.
- Eliminated last vestiges of old VGA page swapping code.
- Mute command no longer leaves notes on in music.
- Load/save menu no longer leaves files open.
Version 0.92 - 04/09/2002
- Original game files may now have both upper case and lower case names.
- Improved handling of missing files.
- Adlib emulation added.
- Field of view increased to match original.
- Added frame rate counter.
- Keyboard repeat added.
- Main loop delay routine rewritten to improve frame rate.
- More predefined resolutions.
- Added my home page to copyright notice.
- Corrected file permission bug when writing files.
- Keys released while asking for player name no longer get stuck.
- Fixed auto-repeating screen capture key.
- Game over text background colour change fixed.
- Minor cosmetic fixes to setup menu.
Version 0.921 - 09/09/2002
- Status bar now glides up/down when toggled as in 320x200 mode in original.
- Faster processing of muted sound.
- User-adjustable sound (F5/F6) and music (F7/F8) volume (ingame only).
- Cheat options in setup menu (as requested by Ken).
- Stereo sound added.
- Various cleanups for clarity.
- Started cleanup of alignment/endianness problems.
- Overwriting screen captures now overwrites existing file instead of
- Fixed minor graphics glitch when viewing main menu while dying.
- Fixed minor audio glitch in episode 1 and 2 end sequences.
- Up and down movement (A/Z) now equally fast.
Version 0.93 - 16/09/2002
- Endianness issues fixed.
- Added gamma correction setting (F9/F10).
- Doubled maximum volume.
- Next board cheat key no longer repeats.
- Adlib emulation now synchronised to sound output instead of game timer.
- User-adjustable sound buffer size.
- Stereo "Ouch!" noises.
- Lower default sound buffer size.
- Added option to use sound out for timing (use only on low-latency systems).
- Fixed delayed update of map position on death.
Version 0.931 - 04/10/2002
- Sound buffer sizes now selected in milliseconds.
- Changed default sound buffer size to 11.8 ms.
- Texture colour depth user selectable.
- Disabled experimental sound timer mode due to compatibility problems.
- Sound and music channel amount can now be toggled separately.
- Symbolic link "setup" added for easier access to setup menu (Linux binary
- Batch file "setup.bat" added for easier access to setup menu (Windows binary only).
Version 0.94 - 30/10/2002
- Rewrote status bar code for efficient status bar sliding and variable
padding of status bar.
- Added support for integer scaling of 2D graphics.
- Modified -res parameter to also specify simulated 2D graphics resolution.
- Moved hiscore box down 20 pixels.
- Changed default sound to stereo.
- Running game without a settings file runs setup.
Version 0.941 - 11/11/2002
- Improved OpenGL diagnostics output to help solve compatibility problems.
- Added 1280x960 mode to setup program.
Version 0.942 - 6/12/2002
- Rewrote screen mode selection to allow custom mode definition.
- Setting an illegal resolution with integer scaling no longer prevents you
from running the game.
Version 1.0 - 2/2/2003
- Improved OpenGL diagnostics.
- Added icon.
Version 2.0 - 23/12/2003
- Support for Ken's Labyrinth v1.0 (Advanced Systems shareware version) and
v1.1 (Advanced Systems registered version).
Version 2.1 - 6/1/2004
- Support for Ken's Labyrinth v2.0 (Epic Megagames shareware version).
- Smaller executable files and DLLs.
Version 2.2 - 30/7/2004
- Write permission no longer needed for data files.
- Sound effects can be replaced without changing hardcoded file size.
- Improved timing code.
- Support for aspect ratios other than 4:3.
- Minor Win32 header include fix for latest MinGW.
- Fixed crashes when using -res option with too few (2 or 3) parameters.
Version 2.3 - 22/8/2004
- Improved colour scheme in setup menu.
- Added autodetection of screen resolutions.
- Fixed several widescreen-related bugs.
Version 2.31 - 29/8/2004
- Simplified resolution menu.
- Brightened setup menu help text.
Version 2.32 - 11/10/2004
- Lower case file names also valid for v1.x save games.
- Upper case file names also valid for v1.x boards.dat and story.kzp.
- Fixed incorrect warp behaviour in LAB3D v1.x.
Version 3.0 - 29/11/2013
- Added software rendering support.
- Work around judder on (some?) current Radeon Windows drivers.
- Stop using deprecated GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE texturing.
- Support hardware sound buffer sizes that are not a power of two.
Back to LAB3D/SDL index...